Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Greetings, true believers!

Time for another post. I was thinking the other day about connotations and denotations. As you well know words are rapidly losing their true meanings and being replaced by acronyms and slang. Today I just wanted to address some misused adjectives. Many people use all these words to simply say "very good" when in reality none of them are necessarily positive.
Awesome - causing awe in spectators
Fantastic - of fantasy, unreal, fictional
Unprecedented - hasn't happened before, new
Extraordinary - outside of the ordinary, weird
Incredible - not credible, untrustworthy
The point is that these words aren't synonyms and if we use them properly we can convey a lot more meaning with just one word! I get a little annoyed when people oversimplify the English language because it loses a lot of that depth and uniqueness.

I was also going to endorse a show that I've been watching lately. I'm a big Batman fan so I started watching the new Batman: Brave and the Bold
It's a very enjoyable cartoon show that introduces the viewer to new lesser known characters from the DC Universe. Much like the comic book that it takes it's name from, Batman teams up with a different ally in each episode. Each character is true to their personality established in the DC canon. Also Batman gets pushed out of his comfort zone quite a bit. He even sings in one episode! Well that's just a couple things that were on my mind.

Until next time,
~JO~

No comments:

Post a Comment